WHY IS CHOCOLATE TOXIC TO PETS?
Made from the beans of the cacao tree, chocolate contains two substances that can harm dogs and cats.
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS?
Symptoms that a pet has ingested a toxic amount of chocolate usually occur within 6 to 12 hours and vary by amount ingested.
- Excessive Thirst
- Racing Heartbeat
- High Blood Pressure
HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?
No amount of chocolate is safe for dogs. Even a little nibble can make a pet sick, especially for smaller pups. The amounts shown here can cause seizures or worse.
If you think your cat or dog has ingested chocolate, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA’ Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435 right away.